FlyChina Home Page

Transit in Canada
Effective March 15, 2016, visa-exempt foreign nationals who fly to or transit through Canada need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). Exceptions include U.S. citizens and foreign nationals with a valid visa.

This is a summary for your transfer-flight in Canada:

  • US and Canada Citizens do not need eTA.
  • US Permanent Residents need to apply eTA before travel to avoid being denied boarding.
  • eTA is not a visa. So eTA may be required when visa is not required.
  • You can apply eTA online for CAD$7. Click here
  • It may take 10 days to get eTA approved. So apply eTA at least 2 weeks before your trip. Withoutan eTA, Do not buy a ticket departing within 2 weeks.
  • eTA is valid for up to 5 years within your passport valid period.
  • China citizens with valid US visa may be qualified for China Transit Program (CTP).
  • Taiwan citizens with valid US visa may be qualified for Transit Without Visa (TWOV).
  • CTP/TWOV limit to Vancouver and Toronto Terminal 1, Air Canada, Rouge, Jazz, Cathay Pacific, Air China, China Airlines, China Eastern, China Southern, Hainan Airlines, Xiamen Airlines, WestJet operated flights. Codeshare flights operated by other airlines such as United are not eligible.
  • Participants in the China Transit Program (CTP) and Transit Without Visa (TWOV) Program, do not need to have an eTA or a visa to transit Canada.
Related Links: